When Alice De Lamar came to Weston she bought every property along the river from the Three Bears Inn to Cobb’s Mill. She rented the houses at a low rate to people she wanted around her, in essence creating a sprawling artists’ community which thrived for a time. She kept her huge swimming pool open to all her neighbors.
Alice lived off the income of her real estate sales, and over the years she sold off her land. Her community got smaller and smaller, and when she died, all that remained were the houses most immediately around Stone Brook.
Alice had many lesbian love affairs, at a time in history when such relationships were not made public in the tabloids. The artists, actors, dancers, and musicians — many of them gay, lesbian, or bisexual — came to Alice’s community because knew they would find privacy.
|Weston (Conn.): Sites-Historical; Weston (Conn.): 1900-1949||Cobbs Mill Inn was originally operated as a sawmill, gristmill, and cider mill. In 1913 Frank Cobb, editor-in-chief of the old New York World magazine, purchased the mill and used it as a weekend and summer retreat. Upon his death, Mrs. Cobb sold the property to Moira Wallace and Sydney Dyke and they started to accept overnight guests. The Depression took its toll on the two women and they sold the property to Alice Delamar, patron of the arts, in 1934. With Jacques DeWolfe she converted the inn into an eating and drinking establishment. She purchased a 26-foot pewter bar that was salvaged from the Normandy, a French steamship built in the 1880s, and hired one of the areas finest chefs. With its spectacular view of a pond and a waterfall, it was the perfect place to go for special evenings steeped in history.|